Friday 27 July 2012

5 Ways to Wear a Maxi Skirt

Hello lovelies! Today I am bringing in a new feature, which I mentioned in my vlog post, involving different ways of wearing a garment. For my first '5 Ways to Wear' I have chosen the maxi skirt as it is something that has taken over my wardrobe this year and I love wearing it and pairing it with different tops to get a different look. I hope you like how I have styled my maxi skirt!



1. Crop Top: First up, and an ultimate favourite for me, is the crop top. I think wearing a high-waisted maxi skirt with a crop top is great for short people like me because it gives the illusion that you are taller and slimmer. I know some people aren't too sure when it comes to maxi's/maxi skirts because they are short, but I honestly think that if you grab a high-waist maxi skirt which just skims the floor then it will suit anyone and make you look taller than you actually are. Having the little gap between the top and the skirt is also sexy and feminine.






2. Shirt Blouse: Second up I have paired my maxi skirt with a sheer shirt blouse. This is an outfit that I often wear, along with the chunky necklace, as it is comfortable and easy to wear and looks elegant and effortless. I usually wear a black and gold belt with this outfit aswell to tie it all in and if the weather isn't great you can wear ankle boots with this outfit too - just because the weather isn't great it doesn't mean that you can't wear a maxi skirt.






3. Tie-up Maxi Skirt: The third variation is tieing up part of the maxi skirt to make it slightly shorter and to get this drapping effect. I have to admit, I have only worn my maxi this way once because you have to tie up part of the maxi skirt with a hair band and then safety-pin it up to make sure it stays put. You can see how I styled it (with the shirt blouse, above) here.




4. Wear as a dress: My forth way of wearing a maxi is by wearing it as a dress, giving a midi length hem. Excuse my cat in these images, she decided she wanted to get involved in the photos today! Haha! So anyway, I have basically just pulled the maxi skirt right up so that it sits just above my chest and put a belt around the middle to add shape. I've always been a bit worried about midi length hems on me because I am quite short, however with this maxi skirt I think it really works and will be a style which I will wear more often.






5. Jumper: Lastly I have gone for wearing a jumper with a maxi skirt. These images aren't the best, especially with this jumper as it is quite long so I have folded it up, but if you get a jumper that sits on your hips it will work perfectly. This outfit would be great for the autumn or chilly nights and it just adds a different look to a maxi skirt. One thing that is very important, I think, is tieing a belt around your waist just to show the shape of your figure, because wearing a jumper with a maxi skirt can make you look a bit frumpy if you're short like me, so having the belt just allows people to see your figure.


I hope you like my 5 variations and maybe try a few of these out! Please let me know what you think and if you would like to see more posts like this. Another one will be coming soon so keep a look out!

29 comments:

  1. Ahh this was such a good post! Just goes to show there are loads of ways to wear a garment! I can't resist a maxi dress with a lovely crop like yours and I love love love your necklace with your shirt blouse. I'd even wear it on a night out it's so versatile!

    Gemma x

    www.gemmasatire.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! There's going to be lots more posts like this too :D

      Kirsti xx

      Delete
  2. That's such a pretty maxi skirt. I really like a maxi skirt with a crop top, and GREAT idea wearing it as a dress. I'm definitely going to try that out with one of the MANY maxi skirts I have haha. I'm going to follow you now as I'm really enjoying your blog :)

    Ava Tallulah
    Enter My UO Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you lovely, it really means alot :) Glad you like my blog! :D

      Kirsti xx

      Delete
  3. wow you look lovely in all these outfits! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely love this feature, you should definitely do more! you look gorgeous as always in all the pics, such good ideas!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a lot more ideas for posts like these :D

      Kirsti xx

      Delete
  5. I really like the maxi / crop top combination. Is this one from ASOS?

    http://arrceebee.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No the maxi is from New Look and the crop top is from Topshop :)

      Kirsti xx

      Delete
  6. You look gorgeous, the second one in particular is my favourite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love the first one! And your peace necklace :) I think I saw it in Urban Outfitters? Now following you..x

    jodieolivia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss you did! It's from there :)
      And thank you :D

      Kirsti xx

      Delete
  8. I like the way you've styled the skirt, especially as a dress and with a jumper on top, makes it a good option even when the weather gets slightly more chilly! Just started a blog, would appreciate it if you could pop over and take a look, you might like what you see! I hope so : )
    dearestdeer.net
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I will definitely take a look sweetie :)

      Kirsti xx

      Delete
  9. Thank you lovely :)

    Kirsti xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great! I really like your blog :D Your style is awesome. Would you like to follow each other? x

    www.cupcakecuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. so lovely! i love wearing maxi skirt as a dress, and with jumper looks so good!
    good post!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The crop top is definitely my favorite!

    Www.atrickleofmeaning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I've been so busy with my street style I hadn't spotted this post until today. I love the crop top and shirt :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where did you get your loose fit t-shirt crop top and your maxi skirt? Love love love the first outfit and I'm trying to re-create it but I can't seem to find them anywhere!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment, so thankyou for taking the time to look through my blog :)